Duncan Crowley writing to you from Curitiba, Brazil, on behalf of the Ecocity Curitiba team. Congratulations on both the work so far over the years, including #Ecocity2000 here in our city, and the upcoming event in Oz, which looks like it will be superb.
I am an architect from Ireland, who lived in Barcelona for 7 years and Curitiba for the last 3 years, I have been involved in ecocity projects in 4 different countries since 2003, as part of post-war peace project, in Bosnia (Eco City Group Banja Luka, Bosnia, 2003; Eco City Group Dublin, Ireland, 2005; Transition Towns Barcelona, Spain, 2008; Ecocity Group Curitiba, Brazil, 2014) I am currently exploring ecocities and citizen participation for the masters I am currently doing at UFPR in Brazil.
I am writing to you regarding the idea we are currently developing here in Brazil of opening out the discussions in Australia, so as to widen the discussion about ecocities, in both content and geographical location. From that to assist in process of transforming ideas to realities, creating more ecocities. Our proposal is to attempt to create local moments, gathering, nodes… in our respective cities around the world during the focal point of July 12-14, to attempt to connect with you there, and to connect with the diverse community here, explore the ideas, problems, range of solutions and proposals being explored, give further support to local projects (both at top level of mayors office and local smaller initiatives). Not all can get to Melbourne, or wish to fly such distances, but that should not hold us back from engaging with this most serious of subjects and working locally to make change both locally and globally. Here in Curitiba we have a small group that have been in discussion in last few weeks and are organizing events during this period, to connect the different actors (academia, business, social movements, local projects, local government), we will present our proposal at the Camara, local government council, next Monday. Through our friends in the global network, similar discussion are happening in Barcelona, Dublin, Istanbul and some other cities, as outlined in our FIX THE CITY map. The new Site is at https://ecocitycuritiba.wordpress.com/ and encourages: #ThinkGlobalActLocal > #OrganizeLocalConnectGlobal
We would like to see if you are supportive of this idea and if so, how best we can advance things. What we have discussed here so far includes:
- Creating a local node space in our city, as physical focal point during the period
- While July 12-14 are days of the event in Melbourne, we will extent our period till Sunday 16th
- During our period we will create a calender and map and invite all groups interested in hosting events to inform us, so we can post their info into the public realm. These can be talks, workshops, hackathons, site visits, films, social gatherings, art exhibitions…
- During some periods we hope to “tune in” live to some of the talks in Australia. Will you be live streaming, is there a fee? We have a 13 hour time difference, but this is not a problem, lots of coders, hackers, artists and architects here are used to bizzare hours during special moments.
- If the global #ecocity2017network grows, there is also possibility of making live conversations between people in different cities.
- We hope to use the activity in this period (5 days) to map our city, identify local projects and active groups, and to strengthen connections at different levels (ie, the favela community around the main city river, Rio Belem, and the City Council project to clean the river)
- We are aware that the 8 remaining weeks is limited time to develop fully these ideas, but we hope this can act as a step toward a more coordintated global cities effort the following year, and years after.
If you like this proposal and are keen to advance things, how best do you suggest we move forward. If you have recieved word of similar calls or requests from other groups or communities around the planet, can you please put us in contact with them. We will forward the initial and informal call out which was sent out to people on May 3rd in following mail.
Every city can be an Ecocity, lets do it during #Ecocity2017
Thankyou for your time